Isn’t it interesting when you can look back on your life and see threads of pain and purpose? I find it fascinating. In the middle of really difficult seasons, I held onto hope that something better was available for the future without knowing what that would be. Today, I look back and see how God gave strength when I had none and kept some doors closed even though I wanted them to be open.
It reminds me God is always at work even when we can’t see it.
Over the years, I’ve experienced a number of painful situations and received healing. I’ve also received training for helping others through different means. Eventually, I sensed God saying it was time to return to school and get my Masters in Counseling. I’m so glad I did.
I’m also grateful for a myriad of life experiences that have helped me relate to people I serve.
Below are various aspects of my personal and professional history as it relates to emotional health and spiritual growth.
After years of being a homeschool mom, running a ministry, and foster parenting, I have returned to my passion to help others through practical application of spiritual needs. Today, I am a trauma-informed coach, counselor, and content creator.
Training and Experience
- B.S. Psychology at Mankato State University, MN
- Minor in Special Ed.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Psi Chi Honors Society
- M.A. in Counseling: Clinical Mental Health at Townsend Institute, Concordia University, Irvine, CA
- Life Breakthrough Coach via Life Breakthrough Academy
- National Board Certified Counselor (NBCC)
Jolene continues to receive training with and without official credentials associated to the training. These are a few credentialed trainings she has completed.
- More Than Counseling – Level I (Center for Relational Care, Austin TX) [12 CE Credit Hours]
- Foster Parenting Training
- Required training and follow-up training while fostering/
- EMDR Training
- As a licensed professional counselor (associate), Jolene offers EMDR to her counseling clients.
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional I & II (in process)
- Neuroscience focused training for the treament of complex trauma. Certification not eligible until full licensure.
- DBT Training
- DBT offers skills and resources for dealing with high levels of distress and anxiety.
Jolene’s experiences range from personal trauma and healing to involvement with various programs and ministries over the years.
- Eclipse Crises Hotline
- College volunteer
- Trained by Crises Center
- Responsible for answering calls from people in crises, including the mentally ill.
- Provided listening and guidance towards further assistance based on needs
Wilson Center: Psychiatric Treatment Facility for Adolescents
- Live-in Foster Parent on Agency-Owned Ranch
- Managed home with up to twelve children, including five to nine foster children.
- Fourteen months fostering on ranch, one month in personal home
LPC-Associate Counselor (& formerly an Intern) at The Forward Foundation
Jolene’s writing has been featured on various contributor and guest sites, including Crosswalk and iBelieve.
She has also been published in the following book:
A Moment to Breathe: 365 Devotions That Meet You in Your Everyday Mess by the (in)Courage community
A Moment to Breathe is a compilation devotional that speaks to the heart of weary and messy lives. Jolene’s five devotionals include:
- Day 72: Finding God in a Deserted Heart
- Day 129: Finding Joy
- Day 160: Can I Just Have a Normal Life?
- Day 215: The Prayers We Neglect
- Day 349: Shaped Not Scorched